This 60 minute advanced total body conditioning circuit will provide the ultimate overall fitness challenge. You will only need a light and heavy set of hand weights as well as a fixed weighted barbell. We used 5 pound and 10 pound hand weights and a 30 pound barbell.
- After a 5 minute warm up you will start the first of five fitness cycles.
- Cardio: All the cardio step blasts are done on an eight inch step height. This one will consist of power 15's as well as fast feet agility-type footwork. A brief cool down period will follow.
- Leg Press: The music is slowed down considerably and you will take one 10 pound hand weight and do one set of leg presses (15 per side). Then you will immediately get your pre-made barbell and do one minute of squats.
- Triceps: Now the music resumes its normal tempo and we do tricep exercises. Tricep push ups on the high step. Tricep overhead extensions while doing static lunges (one 10 pound in hand). One arm dips on the high step (overhead extension shown as option). Kickbacks (with 5 pound weights).
- Cardio: A combination consisting of spike lunges, slam its and jump freezes.
- Leg Press: Same as above. Then you immediately go into one minute of Plie Squats with pre-made barbell.
- Shoulders: Overhead press with pre-made barbell. One arm side lateral raise inclined next to High Step(5 pounds). Decline push ups. Rear delt flys (5 pounds)
- Cardio: A combination of wide steps (like a v-step), power jumps, and plyo jacks. Three levels of intensity are offered. We do all three.
- Leg Press: Same as above. Then immediately get a 10 pound hand weight and do hover squats.
- Biceps: Pre-made barbell bicep curls going up 2 counts down 6 counts for a minute. Hammer curls with back lunges (10 pounds). Barbell curls again but this time up 6 counts and down 2 counts for a minute. Standing Hammer curls or one final round with barbell (your choice)
- Cardio: A combination from Step Fit (2 knee repeater with power scissors).
- Leg Press: Same as above but we do two sets back to back this time.
- Back: Barbell back rows, 2 long sets. Barbell deadlifts. Wide grip back rows (10 pounds in each hand)
- Cardio: A combination of knee straddles and tap straddles (think Imax2).
- Leg Press: Same as above for one set and then immediately get barbell and do Sit N Stands for one minute.
- Chest: Standard push ups. Chest flys with 10 pounds in each hand on floor while one foot is propped up on step doing hamstring and glute tucks. Switch legs repeat chest flys too. Cross Over Push Ups walking side to side across high step with hands.
By the way, since the core was incorporated into many of the exercises as stabilizers, we did not have a separate core segment. Bring it on!
- Warm Up
- 5 fitness cycles of:
- Cardio - 2 min. each
- Legs - 2 min. each
- 3 or 4 Exercises for One Major Upper Body Group
Cathe Friedrich's High Step Training Workout DVD